Slack standup is a script to make a daily status report easy using slack. When the whole team uses this, it gives a nice overview of what everyone is working on without taking time to actually do it in person which many find disruptive.
Table of Contents
etc/example.yaml for what the standup looks like
- dropped supprot for JSON
- swiched over to using slacks web-api
- removed emdash at start of lines to be something special
1.markdown syntax now for numbered lists
- now allows for threadded slack updates
NOTE: slack-standup follows XDG directory specification
npm install slack-standup -g
Go to https://api.slack.com/custom-integrations/legacy-tokens to create your slack token for use. (NOTE: patch is welcome for the new oauth)
The above step is outdated. I don't know how to get a slack token anymore. They've made it really complicated. If you find out, tell me.
slack_token- slack token from above
channel- channel you wish the post to go to
user- slack user to post as (default: env USER)
editor- editor to use to post (default: env EDITOR)
slack_token: xoxp-9152601... channel: "#blah" user: daniel editor: nvim # or code -w ... etc
Sublime and VS Code Editor
- Note you must use the -w (--wait) option with the editor.
- If you use tmux and sublime (or atom) you need to reattach the editor, you may have to install reattach-to-user-namespace. On newer versions of tmux, this shouldn't be necessary.
Tips and tricks
- Stars (*) at the start of lines are converted to bullets
- Hash (1.) at the start of the lines are converted to automatically numbered lists
Comments in standup YAML file:
- # commented lines are ignored and not ported to the next day
Today to Yesterday:
- When used daily, Today's lists are automatically appended to Yesterday's list. It will check posts for 7 days
- Re-run, edit and save; it will update the post with the new data
- You can do it via the application or
- Re-run, change 'live' to false and quit; it will remove the post
- create a
thread:top-level field to respond to any thread in any channel. Get it by using slack's copy link in the UI.
- create a