Two-Factor Authentication for NodeBB
In addition to regular authentication via username/password or SSO, a second layer of security can be configured, permitting access only if:
- A time-based one-time password is supplied, typically generated/stored on a mobile device, or
- A hardware token is activated, such as a Yubikey or other similar product
The Two-Factor Authentication plugin will expose this feature to end-users, allowing them to configure their devices and enabling this enhanced security on their account.
- Introduces hardware key support via WebAuthn.
- This version is fully backwards compatible with v2.x. The major version bump was merely due to the introduction of the new functionality
- Due to browser limitations, the hardware key on mobile devices (especially Android devices) may not be supported. For more information on which devices are and are not supported, please consult this chart
Install the plugin via the ACP/Plugins page.
Token Generation Step
Thanks to @yLothar and the keeb.it community for sponsoring WebAuthn and hardware key support.